Catch Up at Petteril Bank is:
(For all children)
- Time spent on mental health, wellbeing and social skills development. This will be at the core of all catch up work as many children will have not been in formal school setting for a number of months. We will continue to use our Jigsaw scheme of work to deliver our PSHE curriculum, alongside this additional time will be spent focusing on mental health and well-being for example taking part in daily mindfulness activities.
- Working through well sequenced, purposeful planning. For example, teachers have adapted planning in order to focus on missed objectives and to consolidate the basics, including the NCETM Maths Progression documents.
- Focus on consolidation of basic skills. The core skills, which enable successful learning, will require increased curriculum time across all year groups. These include: handwriting, spelling of high frequency words, basic sentence punctuation, times tables recall, basic addition & subtraction fact recall and reading skills relevant to age.
- Particular focus on early reading and phonics. This is always a focus in the school and will continue to be so in order to develop children’s reading ability and vocabulary. Year 2 will continue with daily phonics lessons to ensure all children are confident with their phonic sounds.
- Assessment of learning and of basic skills to identify major gaps. Teachers will work to identify gaps in learning and adapt teaching accordingly.
(For some children)
- Additional support and focus on basic core skills. Supported by experienced teaching assistants utilising catch up premium – dependent on need as identified through ongoing assessment and the use of Lexia and Learning by Questions (LbQ) in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6.
- Additional time to practice basic skills. This again will be dependent on need of children in order to re-establish good progress in the essentials (phonics and reading, increasing vocabulary, writing and mathematics). This additional support will be provided by; class TAs, Mrs Ingrams and Mrs Robson.
- Additional targeted language support for Reception children. Teachers will work to identify children who will benefit from small group and one-to-one language support. This will be delivered over a 20 week period as part of the Nuffield Early Language Intervention.
All our Catch-up strategies are underpinned by the school's values of inclusion and nurture.